Sunday, February 1, 2009

Espanol

All through high school and nearly half of college I was immersed in world of French (well, not so much immersed as I was taking classes, but when you start to think in French that counts for something, right?). It is, after English, my favorite language. At the height of my years in French acquisition I felt I could communicate reasonably well (I'm sad to report that over the last 4 years my skills have rapidly diminished). I loved speaking more than one language and I wanted to add more to my repertoire. First on the list was Spanish, being closely related to French I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to pick up, and it would be terribly useful to know.
This week my dreams have begun to come true. My roommate Katie and I decided to sign up for a community Spanish class. It is 8 weeks long; I've been once so far; here are the highlights:
  • Our first class was almost entirely in Spanish, yes we're beginners, yes she knows it, and thanks to my French I'm pretty sure I understood
  • Senora Koch has promised to teach us to read, write, and speak Spanish by the end of March; actually I think we've already had our reading lesson; I may have failed
  • I thought my accent was pretty good but apparently I speak Spanish with a French accent, don't laugh
  • I learned how to say my name, where I live, where I am from, what I like to do, and what I am wearing, not bad for 2 hours

I am pretty excited...we shall see how it goes.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Very cool - way to develop your talents - you amaze me.

Marian said...

Good for you Lindsey! So I've been trying to learn Spanish in my 3.5 years living in a Spanish speaking branch. Justus and I read 1st and most of 2nd Nephi in Spanish together, and I understand a lot of church words like fe, libro de mormon... That being said, I still cannot speak Spanish at all! Of course, I've never taken a class... The truth is whenever a nice Latino lady talks to me, all I can think of is my measley knowledge of French! Anyways, I hope you have more luck than me! Au revior! I mean, Adios!

Lindsey said...

So Mar you probably know and understand way more than I do - and I can totally empathize because I keep thinking of French instead of Spanish!

Jana said...

Good job! I think it's great that you're doing that. Whenever I try to say anything in Spanish, it comes out with a French accent as well... oh well... love you!