Sunday, October 19, 2008

General Conference

A couple of weeks ago we had General Conference as a church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) in which the leaders of our Church (including the prophet, President Monson) spoke to us and gave us counsel on how we should be living our lives. As always, it was absolutely incredible. Each time we have Conference I always learn so much. I had lately had some questions about my life that I wanted answers to so I wrote them down and prayed for answers. I expected that I might hear one or two things over the course of the four sessions that I watched that would help me but I did not expect what I got. I can truly say that our Father in Heaven answers our prayers. As I listened I took notes and marked the things that stood out to me. It was amazing to see how nearly every talk spoke to me and how much I was given. My questions were answered literally dozens of times and in different ways.
On Sunday morning I was able to go to Salt Lake to attend the third session of Conference with my cousin, Christine. Her family had tickets and we were in about the 20th row. (Thank you Christine!!!) I'm not sure who was sitting behind us, but members of the Primary General Presidency and Relief Society General Presidency kept stopping next to us to talk with them. The Conference Center is beautiful and the feeling of being there is incomparable. Watching the General Authorities talk with one another and the feeling in the room when President Monson walked in and we all stood further strengthened my testimony that he is God's prophet on the earth today. At that session the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang. It wasn't the first time that I had heard them in person, but it once again left me in awe. I was never really a fan of the Choir until I heard them in person and now I love them! Their singing is so beautiful and has so much power in it. I wish I could post pictures but sadly I only had my phone with me and my pictures are still stuck on there. :(

I am so grateful to be a member of this church. I know that it is the Church of Jesus Christ, that he is our Savior, that he lived and died for us, and that he was resurrected and lives again. I am grateful to have a prophet on the earth and know that Joseph Smith was a prophet as well, and that he translated the Book of Mormon, which is a true book of scripture.

One last thing: the leaders of the Church have recently published a statement about Proposition 8 that is about to be voted on in California. A few years ago, The Family: A Proclamation to the World was put out in which it was said that marriage between man and woman is ordained of God. I believe that this is true. If you are able to, please help this Proposition pass in order to preserve the sanctity of marriage.
I wish I could say I had taken these pictures, but again, I was sadly without camera. I found these online, so you could see the outside and inside of the Conference Center, if you haven't seen them before:

2 comments:

Becky said...

I felt the same way as you did about MoTab, before hearing them live. After you hear them live, you gain such a new appreciation for them, it is powerful!

Dolores said...

Your testimony is beautiful, Lin. Thank you for sharing it with us!!! Love You!!!