Sunday, November 30, 2008

Field Trip



Last week we went on our yearly excursion to the Thanksgiving Point Dinosaur Museum. Even though I have been 3 times, it did not disappoint. You see, I am passionate about all things historic and I've had this lifelong desire to be an archaeologist/paleontologist. If this desire weren't superseded by my even greater desire to some day get married and raise children I would probably be out in the middle of the desert digging up bones right now. But having shelved that dream I get my fixes through reading and going to exciting places like the museum. If you have not been, I highly recommend it.

This year I came up in the rotation for first grade team leader, which means that I was pretty much in charge of planning the field trip (for 6 teachers and 120+ first graders). Oh pressure.
Not everything went quite as smoothly as I would have liked, and there were a few tense moments in which I was FREAKING OUT but it all worked out.
So the kids had a good time, the teachers had a good time, and next year I'll get to breathe easier knowing that someone else is in charge. :)
These are a few pictures from the field trip. Sadly I think it is not quite legal for me to post pictures of my kids, but imagine a bunch of little 6 and 7 year olds running around in the background. I did, however, post pictures of my team (I am so lucky to work with these ladies!).

Kathy and me.

Mandy, Paige, and Amanda.

Me, Mandy, and Paige.

I can't remember what this one is, I think a Utahraptor.

A cute, miniature, prehistoric elephant. I love elephants.

The teeth alone...

Extremely large turtle. I also love turtles.

You can't tell from the picture but this 'sand dollar' is actually 18 inches -2 feet across. It's from the ocean, need I say more?

1 comment:

David and Amy said...

I'd be a little more than 'freaking out' if I was in charge of planning a field trip for so many kids! It looks like an awesome time, give yourself a big pat on the back for organizing all that. I wrote my eighth grade career profile paper on archeology, that was a dream I too shelved many years ago! It just sounds so interesting and exciting to do that type of work, doesn't it?